America’s NBC News reports on the increase in airstrikes soon after the Trump administration took office.
It declared parts of Yemen as well as neighbouring Somalia to be “areas of active hostilities,” giving the U.S. military more leeway to target terrorists from the air and on the ground without White House approval.
The first deadly and futile commando raid in Yemen after this policy change, cost the lives of a U.S. Navy SEAL and a number of children and yielded no significant intelligence, U.S. officials told NBC News. 7 US service members were wounded and at least 25 civilians were killed, including nine children under the age of 13, according to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism.
The U.S. military stepped up its air campaign in Yemen dramatically, conducting 131 airstrikes – more than six times as many as the , 21 strikes in 2016, the last year of the Obama administration.
Airstrikes on a market and a farm in Yemen at the end of December killed at least 68 civilians in a single day, including eight children, the United Nations said on Thursday. At least 109 civilians had been killed nationwide during that two week period.
Yemenis suffer from dire shortages of electricity, food and medicine. The collapse has led to the world’s worst contemporary outbreak of cholera, which has killed over 2,200 and affected about a million people since April. And yet the bombardment continues. There have been at least 10 additional strikes since Jan. 1, 2018, carried out by drones, AC-130 gunships and fighter-bombers.
Will our next government choose our friends more carefully?