The global charity Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) told Reuters news agency that more than 40 civilians, including an eight-year-old in a critical condition, were admitted to Abs Hospital after an air strike in the Mustaba district, a region largely controlled by the Iran-allied Houthi militia.
Saudi-led air strikes had killed 41 civilians and wounded 75 others on Tuesday in Yemen’s northwestern province of Haja, according to a senior provincial health official, Ayman Mathkour, director of the Haja health department. He told Reuters that relatives gathered the bodies and took the wounded to Abs and Mustaba hospitals.
The coalition entered the conflict a year ago to stop Houthi forces and others loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh from seizing the country, and has fought to restore the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
Saba Net, a Yemeni news agency controlled by the Houthis, reported that in the three air raids 65 people had been killed and 55 wounded in the strike on an outdoor market and restaurant in Mustaba.
According to the United Nations, entire neighbourhoods have been obliterated and more than 6,000 people, half of them civilians, have been killed in Yemen’s conflict since the Saudi-led intervention began in March 2015.
In January, a UN panel found that air strikes had targeted civilians, assessed that some of the attacks could be crimes against humanity and recommended the U.N. Security Council consider establishing an investigation.
PRI reports that Connecticut Democrat Chris Murphy, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, asks why the US has stood by while the Saudi-led coalition of Arab air forces has pounded Yemen daily since March 26, 2015. When will a senior conservative challenge our government on its military and diplomatic support for Saudi Arabia?