An immoral, potentially destructive and profligate use of taxpayers’ money
Several accords have been signed by President Francois Hollande and Prime Minister David Cameron at Brize Norton airbase near Oxford, England, where they met today. They focussed on defence in furtherance of the terms of a 2010 Anglo-French pact, the Lancaster House Treaty, paving the way for a joint defence force as well as collaboration on drones and other military technology development.
- joint investment in the latest phase of a combat drone scheme,
- cooperation on civil nuclear power research,
- French firm EDF to employ some British SMEs in building new Hinkley Point nuclear power plant
- joint £500m purchase of anti-ship missiles
- collaborations on space and satellite technology
Corporations to benefit:Dassault Aviation SA (AM), BAE Systems Plc (BA/), Rolls-Royce Holdings Plc (RR/), Selex ES Ltd., Thales SA (HO), Safran SA (SAF) MBDA (Airbus Group NV) Finmeccanica SpA (Italy) . .
At the summit venue, the leaders are to inspect a prototype of the Anglo-French combat drone designed the lines of General Atomics Predator – see the sinisterly named ‘Avenger’ Predator C above.